What have you learned from your audience feedback?
How did you use media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?
This was the first version of the poster that we made. The original photo can be found below. After editing the Sight & Sound and BFI logo onto the image we decide to use a colour splash of the red and blue graffiti. To achieve this we desaturated the image to make it black and white. Then after duplicating the image we used the quick selection tool to select the area of graffiti and then inverted this selection. We then used the colour selection tool and the eydropper tool in order to only show the red and blue sections.
Then to create the credit block we used text manipulation in order to modify the ‘Plus’ text.
We selected the Plus text and added an outline to it to make it stand out slightly more.
We then did some audience feedback on the first draft. The main response was that our cover did not follow the typical conventions of the Sight & Sound covers. We, therefore, looked to change the text and titling to make it look more like covers of the past.
Based on this feedback we then made two newer versions. This included using a more appropriate font (Abati MT Regular) that looked more like the font used on the cover of Sight & Sound. We then used the eyedropper tool to make the bullet points the same colour as the logo to have a unified colour scheme. We noticed that certain covers would use a box around the words ‘Exclusive Interview’, so using the shape and eyedropper tools we did this to create a yellow box.
The final main feature that we added to the cover was the use of a gaussian blur.
By inverting the selection of our director (Andrew Wills) we were able to add this blur to place more emphasis on the director himself. Above you can see the two versions side by side (with the left being without the blur and the right being with it included).After some more audience feedback, we decided as a group that the version that used the blur looked more appropriate. We also decided to remove the white outline to the word ‘Plus’ as this did not follow the generic conventions of the publication. This then led to the final version which can be seen below.
We as a group are happy with this cover, however, of course, it is not completely perfect. The way in which we have used the quick selection tool to blur the background makes our director look like he has been superimposed onto the scene slightly when you view the image close up. The text ‘Andrew Wills’ could have been improved further as well. Maybe making the text white would have made it look more simplistic than using the red font to try and match the background.
After obtaining some feedback from our peers, we decided to make a final few adjustments to the poster. We decided to make the text white to conform to the typical conventions of previous Sight & Sound publications and to make it easier to read to the audience. We also decided to remove the gaussian blur from the cover as the feedback we received from the audience indictaed they preffered it without the blur as it made it look like we had photoshopped Andrew Wills onto the background (when it was a real photo). This will now serve as our final magazine cover.